27 August 2007

First Crush


Okay you remember back when you had your first crush. AHHHH Dreamy.....

When I was younger, I sailed everyday during the summer. Now i went to the yacht club everyday to take lessons. Now I am not sure if it really was lessons or if it was more of keeping me out of trouble. I grew up in a summer town. I was a "townie" and then the summer folks would come in. So I grew up with these kids every summer. We ran in a pack of about six, girls and boys. We would have sleep overs. We would go to races together. We did a lot together. We stole burgees together. Went to jump the waves of the block island ferry....you get the picture.

Well one summer, I started to notice this boy, lets call him, Carter.(not his real name) Well he came back to Watch Hill one summer, and he grew to over six feet tall. He had dark hair, did i say he was tall? He talked to me, he taught me to windsurf, he was a sailor, and a good one! He was my first crush!

Well i never told him but i am sure i alluded to the fact that i liked him. You know how well those awkward teens do....need i say more.... a couple years go by. We all hang out together. Nothing ever happens....I just watch from afar.

Well as I got older I got a job, I left for the summers because who wanted to hang out in Watch Hill with all those people! I came back after Labor Day when everyone went back to school. The beach was mine again. So imagine I never really hung out with those guys other than sailing. So I lost track...moved on to other crushes...

Now fast forward about twenty years to last night. I was at a lobster bake at the cabanas. And there he was! Could it be? is it? YES!!! My first crush!!!! :)

BUT WAIT????

WHAT is this!!???

He had aged! Oh my GOD! He was not cute. He looked like an old guy. He seemed so uptight, and snotty.

I was horrified!

Okay Okay calm down, lets see he was still tall, but where did all that beautiful hair go? Why was he wearing long tan pants with a nautical themed belt and a button down PINK shirt to the beach? What he has LOAFERS??? Who wears that to the beach?

Oh my....so my first crush. I am going to try and remember him teaching me to windsurf, how perfect he was in my mind.

So he can keep his perfect looking trophy wife, with her hair oh so perfect and that perfect little lobster pink and green dress. I am happy with life. I am glad i am not that uptight....and i am proud to wear my sandals... I just hope he is happy.......

I am.....

4 comments:

Mike said...

He's definitely not happy. He's wearing loafers for god's sake!

Fritz said...

Well i found out that my first crush and first kiss is a groundskeeper at a cememtary, different but he is still perfect in my mind!

Anonymous said...

Uggggh no. Just keep that memory of him as a tall, dark and handsome young man. Erase the image of loafers from your mind immediately!

Anonymous said...

LOAFERS? At the beach?
Go see the Nanny Diaries, I did last night--those people are so not happy either.